The Aims of the RRN
- To source accommodation for Syrian refugees and Unaccompanied Minors and help them resettle in the UK and integrate into their communities including the provision of:
- a) – housing support and household items.
- b) – services such as befriending, transport, English language tuition, mentoring, advice and training using our network of trained volunteers.
- Provide a hub for local volunteers who are interested in helping support Syrian refugees
- Share best practice on a national basis with the aim of rescuing a greater number of refugees
- Campaign on behalf of Syrian refugees and unaccompanied minors with the aim to debunk myths, build bridges and ultimately save lives
- By working with County Councils, District Councils, Churches and other faith groups, and private landlords to source accommodation.
- As well as sourcing this accommodation we also furnish it including soft furnishings, kitchen equipment etc. as needed. In some instances RRN additionally provides the security bond, acts as the property management agent and undertakes basic repairs required by the tenants.
- Through the provision of members of our group who work in partnership with Local Authorities and the British Red Cross to deliver services identified by these partners including:
- Befriending for both adults and children which includes introduction to community events, sports clubs, schools, after school activities and other community events and activities.
- Teaching English through our group of trained and qualified teaching volunteers.
- Provision of funding to meet individual refugee needs which will further enable successful re-settlement. Examples include counselling, transport provision, training and work mentoring.
- We have a register of over 80 volunteers. New volunteers are sourced via media activity and through referrals from Local Authorities, faith groups, and from a programme of speaking at events. All volunteers have an induction from the Co Chairs. Volunteers are organised into sub-groups; Management, Housing, Resettlement, Education, Fund-Raising, Interfaith, Unaccompanied Minors and Marketing. Each sub-group meets regularly with a month all-team meeting and separate monthly Trustee meetings.
- RRN provides basic items that facilitate this including; English lessons, furniture, clothing, food, school Liaison, be-friending, Arabic speakers for translation purposes and a contingency fund to meet other needs specific to each family.